(1) c. sugar
(2) c. flour
(1) c. or (2) sticks salted butter
(1) egg – to brush sides of dough before going in oven
(6) Granny Smith Apples or Anjou Pears-Cored and Sliced)
(1) tbsp nutmeg
(1) tbsp cinnamon
(3) tbsp sugar
(2) tbsp honey
(1) c. Walnuts or (1) c. Hazelnuts (if you’re making this with pear)
Dash of Salt
(2) tbsp Vegetable Oil
Oven @ 400
(1) In a food processor combine butter, flour, & sugar. User short pulses to combine the dough for about 60 seconds or until large segments form. This might sound gross but taste the dough, see if its sweet enough for you, if not add another 1/4 c sugar
(2) Meanwhile, wash, cut, peel & core apples. If you don't plan on cooking up the apples right then and there just sprinkle some lemon juice on top, seal tightly, and put in fridge. This prevents the apples from browning on top....yuck!
(3) In a medium size pan, over medium heat, heat up the oil. Throw the apples in, coat with oil, add a pinch of salt, and cover. Gently stir the apples every 2 minutes until they're cooked through. Finally add sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly & set aside.
(4) Take the dough out of the fridge and roll out on a lightly floured surface to about 2 inches larger than the diameter of your pan. Transfer into pan. The dough should be covering the sides of the pan at this point. Place nuts on top of dough, then smear the fruit all over the bottom part of the pan/dough. make sure you get a good amount in the corners. Sprinkle another dash of cinnamon and drizzle honey on top. Fold over the remaining dough from the top over the sides and press down firmly. Using a food brush brush some of the egg yokes on the dough and bake.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until the sides are golden brown as shown above. Take out and drizzle some more honey and cinnamon on top. Thats it! You're ready to serve. This is such a special dish to serve or bring for dinner all year round. It could be great made with sweet pumpkin puree in the fall time or a tasty lemon curd in the summer. Hope you enjoy! Expect people to ask for seconds 🙂 xoxo!