I love recreating Starbucks pastries/cakes at home. It brings me back to a time of late night studying under terrible lighting, hunched over a table that barely had space for my textbook and lap top while sipping old coffee and munching on dried out pastries….oh those were the days! Which brings me to my point….every time I enjoy a baked good from Starbucks..they taste like they’ve been sitting in that display for days. When I make their pastries at home they taste fresh and full of flavor, not to mention the yummy aroma that fills up my house. Here’s an easy way to make Starbuck’s coffee cake:
(1) Box of yellow cake mix (& the ingredients the mix requires)
(2) c. Flour
(2 1/2) c. Light Brown Sugar
(1) c. Butter or Margarine
(3) tsp. Cinnamon
(1) c. Pecan Chips
Directions Oven @ 350
(1) Follow instructions on back of the yellow cake mix box. Line a cake pan w/ parchment paper and spray with non stick spray. Spread mix in pan. (I know I didn’t really need to show a pic of this but look at my new ceramic egg crate holder from Anthropologie!)
(2) Combine the rest of the ingredients. You should get a sandy crumble-like texture. Do not over mix. If the mixture seems too buttery, add more brown sugar until the texture gets a sandy/crumble look.
(3) Spread half of the mixture on top of the cake batter. Place in oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the cake is golden brown. Take cake out of the oven & let cool (The topping will sink to the bottom while in the oven creating a nice carmalization and taste through the cake.)
(4) Once the cake has cooled place the remaining coffee crumble on top of the cake. You want to make sure you cover the whole top area of the cake. Place in the oven and bake for 8 minutes, or until the crumble is golden.
Cut up and enjoy! This truly one of my personal favorites! Xo, Pattycake